Hi! GirlGerms here. In the real world I go by Jess Dodson. I’m a Windows system administrator of 15ish years, based in sunny Queensland, Australia. Mad keen Microsoft fangirl (unsurprisingly) an ex-Microsoft MVP (2016-2019), and a Microsoft PFE! I’m big on passing on information to others that’s technically relevant, as well as passing on information that, while not technical, is useful for those in system administration. Core skills (not soft skills!) for the win!
I’m also the mum to a tiny human who is constantly evolving – Lil’ GirlGerms (as she’s not a baby anymore!) was born in 2017!
For those wondering – yes, I was quiet for a reason. Baby GirlGerms arrived yesterday. Doing fine, just knackered! pic.twitter.com/lM725usk8r
— Jess Dodson (@girlgerms) August 19, 2017
In whatever spare time I manage to wrangle for myself, I play video games, read fantasy and sci-fi novels, collect and build *far* too much Lego (no, really, it’s becoming a problem, I’m running out of room for it all!) and I’m also a keen crafter of all sorts of things – current craze is chainmaille jewellery. I’m a genuine crazy cat lady with two Siberian cats & six chickens that cause no end of terror…plus a hive of bees >.>
When speaking with me, please refer to me as Jess – I also respond to GirlGerms, GG and “Oi, you!”. I’m not a fan of Jesse/Jessie/Jessy and will not respond to being called any of them. Jessica is only for use when I’m in trouble…which doesn’t happen that often because I’m such an angel >.>
<arse-covering>All opinions/thoughts/ideas/rants/general snarkiness presented on this blog and on the following social media/gaming sites are purely individual to lil’ ol’ me. They definitely do not represent my current or previous employers or any associations I’m a member of, unless explicitly stated. </arse-covering>
Email/Messenger/Skype: [email protected]
The following social network accounts are my personal accounts – best chance of getting me to respond is to hit me up on Twitter or Reddit, both of which are public. My Facebook is locked down – you need to work your way to the “inner circle” to get into that one and I don’t accept random friend requests unless I actually know you.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/girlgerms (public)
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/user/girlgerms/ (public)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jess.r.dodson (close friends and family only)
Imgur: http://girlgerms.imgur.com/ (public)
Instagram: http://instagram.com/jess_girlgerms/ (public)
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/geekgirlgerms/ (public)
Ask.fm: http://ask.fm/jess_girlgerms (public)
The following are my professional social media accounts and include my professional accomplishments. Please be aware that unless I’ve worked with you or have interacted with you in some professional way I will not accept your LinkedIn request – don’t be dismayed, speaking with me online via Twitter/Reddit, speaking with me at a conference etc. all counts!
Email: [email protected]
Microsoft Tech Community: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/141499
Experts Exchange: https://www.experts-exchange.com/members/Jess-Dodson.html
Slack: https://slack.com/ – I lurk in a number of professional Slack channels. If you can see a ‘girlgerms’ in your Slack, it’s most likely me.
Other professional things
For a list of my work history and how I got to where I currently am in IT & system administration, feel free to read the whole story!
- Appeared on The Current Status podcast, speaking on Server 2003 decommissions
- Speaker at Microsoft Ignite Australia 2015, where I spoke on Active Directory security, administration & maintenance & presented a [email protected] talk on “The Killer Guide to Getting Certified”
- Listed as part of JessConf – a fork of KatieConf – to highlight technical women speakers who just happen to be called Jess (or some variation thereof!)
- Awarded a Microsoft MVP in Cloud & Datacenter Management for 2016
- Speaker at Microsoft Ignite New Zealand 2016, where I spoke (yet again) on Active Directory security, administration & maintenance
- Interviewed by Rick Claus for Channel 9 on speaking at Ignite NZ’16, my career so far, the origins of my online handle and my passion for being a systems administrator!
- Interviewed by Kimberly Crawley as a woman in the InfoSec space
- Speaker at Microsoft Ignite Australia 2017, where I presented a [email protected] talk titled: “Explain yourself!” – explaining what we do, while trying to keep everyone happy!
- Interviewed by Seth Juarez for Channel 9 on being an Enterprise IT Pro & all that entails (also available on YouTube for TechEdEurope!)
- Interviewed by Adam Stephenson for SSW TV on my [email protected] talk about how we can explain ourselves better to our users and management and why it’s important!
- Featured by Mary Jo Foley as a Petri Community Champ (and featured on International Women’s Day 2017 no less! ^_^ )
- Interviewed for the Windows Insider Podcast (Episode #2)
- Moderator for /r/sysadmin for 2017/2018
- Interviewed by Sam Jarman for his Dev Chats series
- Awarded a Windows Insider MVP for 2017
- Re-awarded a Microsoft MVP in Cloud & Datacenter Management for 2018
- Featured by @cfpwomen in their list of women available for talks and conferences
- Was the featured guest of I.T. Career Energizer podcast on 21st December 2018
- Spoke at Microsoft Ignite 2019 in Sydney, on Women’s stories from the tech trenches; and also spoke as part of a panel on Hyperfocus & neurodiversity in tech along with other Microsoft Insiders
- Spoke at CrikeyCon 2019 in Brisbane, expanding on my Women’s stories from the tech trenches talk
- Started work at MICROSOFT (seriously, the dream job…) in May 2019
- Joined the Microsoft MVP Reconnect network, as I’m no longer eligible to be an MVP (😭) due to being an official blue-badge at MSFT
- Working with Sonia Cuff as part of the APAC #WomenITPros events team – co-MCing a talk every month on technical topics for Women IT Pros in the APAC region
- Spoke at MSIgnite 2019 in Florida, delivering my talk on women’s stories from the tech trenches, as well as participating in a live interview with Rick Claus, and being part of the closing “Slideshow Roulette” for Channel9
- Spoke at DDD Brisbane on “Security 101” in November 2019
- Was interviewed for Hashnodes #SheInspires podcast in September 2020
- Was interviewed for RunAs Radio on what you need to do to become ‘cloud ready’
- Spoke at CrikeyCon 2021 in Brisbane, on “Back to Basics”, in March 2021 (on my BIRTHDAY, in fact!)
- Spoke at AusCERT 2021 – as part of the opening Keynote panel, delivering my “Back to Basics” talk, and as part of their closing Speed Debate – in May 2021
- Spoke as a guest on We Hack Purple’s podcast in June 2021
- Was the guest speaker for Azure Data User Group, giving my “Back to Basics” talk (slightly modified for a data-focused crowd)
You’ll usually be able to find me in most games as either GirlGerms/Girl-Germs or as Katalysta – modified, depending on how many characters I have. Just keep adding extra characters…you’ll find me eventually.
Always happy for friend invites or friend requests!
Battle.Net: girlgerms#6448 – WoW & Diablo III
(Playing WoW on Nagrand in “Magnanimous”. Main: Katalysta (Troll Mage – Arcane)
Alts: Katalyssta (Undead Priest – Shadow); Katalystaa (Orc Shaman – Elemental); Kataalysta (Blood Elf Demon Hunter – Havoc))
Steam: girl-germs – http://steamcommunity.com/id/girl-germs
Enjin: GirlGerms – http://www.enjin.com/profile/4811116
Twitch: GirlGerms – http://www.twitch.tv/girlgerms/profile
BrickSet: GirlGerms – http://brickset.com/profile/girlgerms (not really “gaming” related, but best place to put it!)
You can also find me lurking on snoonet.org, oz.org & freenode.net as ‘girlgerms’.